Add-on Releases (Version History)
About this add-on
Adds to Pale Moon the ability for easy restart on demand. Also, in versions 20+, manages all normal
restart requests, allowing the user to choose what to do, according to offered options.
Actual compatibility: Pale Moon 1.5 to 28.*
If you wish to contribute in its localization, you can do it easily here:
or contact me.
General features for all versions of Pale Moon:
- Menu item in the "File" menu and a toolbar button, for easy restart of Pale Moon on demand.
If you need the toolbar button, right-click on any toolbar and select "Customize ...", or go to menu
"View --> Toolbars" and select "Customize ...".
Once you locate the "Restart" button, you can drag and place it on any toolbar of Pale Moon.
Right-clicking the button, you can access directly extension's preferences.
Also, in versions 4 - 28 of Pale Moon, there is a menu item in the application menu too.
- Option to select icon.
- Option to remove the icon from the menu item in "File" menu (from menu item in application menu
too, in versions 4 - 28 of Pale Moon).
- Customizable keyboard shortcut, with option to disable it or to remove only the indication from
restart menu items, without disable the shortcut.
- Detection of opened dialogs:
Prevention of restart, exit or close of the last browser window, if some particular dialogs are opened,
which may need user's attention, interaction or intervention (optional, enabled by default - limited
functionality in versions older than v20).
Special features by version of Pale Moon:
- In versions 1.5 and 2, there is a simple restart dialog.
- In versions 3 - 19, the extension just modifies slightly the message of the embedded restart dialog,
to match the label of the check box of the dialog.
- In versions 20+, there is a restart dialog, through which can be performed restart with session
restoration (default) or restart without session restoration.
This dialog is based on the embedded exit dialog of Pale Moon (not enabled by default).
Regarding this unique feature "restart without restoration", please be careful until you become
familiar with it. In this case, if you've set this feature as default (the restart dialog is not shown),
there is a warning dialog, enabled by default.
In any case, Pale Moon's feature "Restore Previous Session" will be a good friend ;-)
"History --> Restore Previous Session".
- Depending on the version of Pale Moon, there are the corresponding options for the available dialogs
and the available user interface items in extension's preferences window.
- In versions 20+, the extension alters the behavior of Pale Moon when closing private windows or exiting
from a private session, in order to address two problems:
- In case of a mixed session, if you close the last non-private window, Pale Moon by design saves
the session only if the last private window is closed (not exit or restart).
The extension alters this behavior, so that the session of the last non-private window will be saved in
any case (exit or restart from a private session).
- Pale Moon does not show warning dialogs in all cases when closing private windows.
I consider this to be important, given that private windows can not be restored after closing them.
The extension shows special warning dialogs in all cases when closing private windows and when
exiting or restarting from private browsing mode.
In all dialogs that appear in private browsing, the default button is "Cancel".
- In versions 20+ and in case of a mixed session, if the restart of Pale Moon is attempted in a private
window, the main restart dialog (if it hasn't been hidden) will be shown in a non-private window, to avoid
any possible confusion of some users who may think that private windows can be restored after restart.
If you are an average user, using Pale Moon just for normal, everyday web browsing, you should not enable the
option "Invalidate Caches On Restart". This option is intended for special use by developers or advanced users
in special cases.
Version 2.00 is the initial release for Pale Moon.
Changes in version 2.01:
- Due to some syntax errors, in some older versions of the browser it was possible the version of the
browser to be identified incorrectly in some cases.
- Pale Moon v27+ was not possible to be restarted in safe mode from "about:support" page
- The state of "nglayout.debug.disable_xul_fastload" and "nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache" remained
unchanged, if the chekbox was changed but the preferences window was not closed by its "OK" button or Enter.
Changes in version 2.02:
- The developer preferences "nglayout.debug.disable_xul_fastload" and "nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache"
could remain activated after disabling/uninstalling of the extension.
Changes in version 2.03:
- Pale Moon v28 was not possible to be restarted in safe mode from "about:profiles" page.
- Small compatibility fix for upcoming Pale Moon 28, related to a label in preferences window.
Changes in version 2.04:
- Some improvements in preferences window for Linux/Mac environments.
- Several internal changes in the code for better performance, responsiveness and somewhat lower
demands for resources.
- Updates/corrections for some of the included locales and a new locale (Ukrainian).
Mozilla Public License 2.0
Released: October 21, 2018